Friday, May 7, 2010

Alternative Press Spring Tour '10 [May 5th, 2010 - Toronto]



Venue: Kool Haus

Openers: The Summer Set
                Every Avenue
                Hey Monday

Headliners: The Cab
                   Never Shout Never

  The AP Tour 2010, first of all, I have never attended an AP tour and had no idea what to expect.. but boy what I got was definitely not what i was expecting.. I was pretty much the oldest one in the crowd, and it was filled with rowdy tweens, dressed in homemade shirts with peace& love written all over it and had feathers in their hair.. I didn't realize how many tweens read AP magazine.. or maybe they just saw the date on Christofer Drew's website.. I'm not too sure, but either way the crowd was interesting.. I have never experienced a show where I had a bunch of girls either being rude and pushing WITH hair pulling, AND the ones who complained people were way to close to them and that we had to give them space.. normally it is just one or the other.
  With that being said,  The Summer Set was up first. It was my first time seeing them and they were very energetic! They covered a T Swift song and they sounded pretty good, in the past I have experienced openers who have sounded bad and had made me question how did they even get onto the tour! But then again, AP tour is about the fans picking the line up, and I havent heard of the bands themselves being bad performers on this tour.
   Up next we had Every Avenue. It was my 2nd time seeing these boys, but this time I was a little disappointed. During the set Dave's mic was messed up, and kept cutting out on him and the sound was horrible! (I'm assuming it was just a tech problem, because the first time I saw them it was amazing.) Dave jumped into the crowd in the middle of the show and walked through while performing, which I thought was pretty cool. The set they played was a good mix of old and new songs, and pretty much showed how their style has changed from the first and second record. One thing I def did not see coming was the fact that they had a REALLY rough crowd. There was a lot of pushing, jumping ontop of other people and a circle pit went down. My friend fell during the set with a bunch of other kids due to the pushing and got trampled as a lot of kids decided that it was ok to run ontop of others to get a closer spot. Never in my life had I ever experience such a rowdy crowd. Most of the time when someone fell, people would help them up.. but not with this bunch!
  There is not much to say about Hey Monday , apart from the fact that Cassadee's high energy and enthusiasm really can get the crowd going, even if you don't like their music! With that said, I'm going to move onto The Cab. This was my first time seeing them, but boy Singer is amazing at what he does! When hes on stage you  can see how into the music he gets and the vibe he gives off is pretty much like a drug!
  Finally, we have Never Shout Never. The one that most of these girls came out to see. It was my first time seeing him, and to be quite honest I wasn't a big fan when I heard his music.. To me it sounds so typical. Something any guy with a guitar can do, but with that said I decided to give Christofer Drew a shot, as sometimes an artists true beauty shows best when in their element; and in his case it's the performance. With that being said, I gave him one chance to impress me; and he miserably failed. A lot of his songs were slow, and honestly started to put me to sleep.. It wasn't until near the end he that he played a really upbeat and happy song called "I Love You 5" . But apart from that I felt unimpressed and he just seems like the generic guy that follows what's in to make it and not follow his heart. And to top it off it looked like he killed a racoon on his head with all of his animal hats. With all of this being said I think this was my first and last time seeing Never Shout Never live...

Side Notes:
    * Follow @APTour on twitter to get updates, contests and find out how you can get meet and greets with the bands!
    * Every night a different band did the signings at the merch booth
    * Rowdy crowds seem to be something consistant at these shows. I didn't believe it until I experienced it.
    * The  backdrop wasn;t creative and stayed the same throughout the whole set.
    * I love the mag but not the tour, I think this might be my last time attending one of these shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment